It’s taken me a long time to realize that you never know what goes on behind closed doors – you really don’t. Being married isn’t simple. It isn’t always warm-fuzzy-rainbow-unicorns sitting on clouds of sparkly-creampuffs. There are hard talks, decisions, concessions and lots of compromises made along the way. I used to look at couples and believe they had it easy. That they ran into each other and in a flash of brilliance their married life was figured out. The truth is that the talks that go on late at night, long before a wedding day are the building blocks of a marriage. Michelle and I used to call them our “negotiations.” Andy Morris (HERE) officiated Chantel and John’s ceremony last week and said, “a marriage is a 90/10 proposition. And If you each give 90% to the other… and only expect 10% in return… you’ll have a relationship and a marriage that will last a lifetime….and beyond.”
The longer I’m a husband, my appreciation increases for what a wedding actually is. Standing up on your wedding day and declaring that you have had those talks and are willing to give and continue to work on a marriage is cause for celebration. And I can respect that. And I’m lucky enough to help celebrate that more than most!
Congratulations Chantel and John! Best wishes to you both!